Wednesday, October 19, 2011

PPD

I've debated about posting this subject or not, but feel that if I keep quiet about it, it would not be helpful to others.  So here I am.  I noticed a change in hormones and emotions right away when Hailey began self weaning at 15 months.  It was awful.  My emotions were all over the place.  But I figured it was a natural thing and it would soon go away.  When she finally fully weaned I began an full strength birth control pill because goodness knows, we do not need more children.  I would love to have them, but we don't need them.  As the days and months went by, I was still having strange feelings that were not controllable.  They ranged from complete euphoric happiness to complete depression.  There is absolutely no reason for this, as I have a husband who completely loves and supports me, two beautiful, happy, healthy girls and a family who would do anything for us.  So I was confused by my feelings.  But again, I just thought, oh, I'm tired from lack of sleep and it's just part of being a mom/woman.  Well, the feelings grew worse.  I would pick arguments with Brian for no reason and was just completely unhappy.  "Why?!"  I yelled at myself.  I have no reason for this feeling.  Finally I did a little research and found that post partum depression can occur after weaning even 15 months later!  So I made an appointment with my GYN immediately.  Yes, this was the diagnosis and she gave me some meds to help me feel better.  Also by just telling me it's not my fault, it's not something I can control and it's a natural thing and diagnosis that some women go through made me feel better.  It's a chemical imbalance that needs adjusting.  So, I'm on the road to feeling better.  I still have moments of uncontrol and depression with my emotions, but I definitely am starting to feel more "even" if that makes sense.  No really big highs or lows as often.  The feeling of not having control of how you feel is horrible.  But the support I have from Brian and my family helps.  And, most importantly, it feels good to know that I will be back to normal soon.  As I have EVERYTHING to be happy for. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Kristen. I think it is very helpful. I'm glad you recognized it and got something that helped you make sense.

    Hormones are an amazing powerful thing. I just had my period come back, which is totally weird because it didn't come back with Xander until 14 months. Anyway, I totally lost it with Xander due to PMS (which I haven't had in a long time...and didn't even recognize it until afterwards). I felt awful. Only thing I can do is say sorry, move on, and remember to keep an eye out for PMS.

    ReplyDelete