Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Losing It

Ok.  I'm going to admit it.  I half way lost it tonight with Paige.  Not all the way, just half way.  Both of the girls have been hitting.  Either swiping with their hands or using their Snugglies as weapons to hit.  It's not hard, but it's definitely in response to something they don't want to don't want to do.  Today is a Tuesday, so it's been 4 days since Paige has been at school.  She goes longer now that I have added lunch, so it's a long day for her... 11:15am-3:30pm.  She is definitely tired when I pick her up.  We get home about 3:50pm which makes it perfect for 4 o'clock quiet time.  Today however, she was in a pretty good mood and quiet time was shortened. MISTAKE.  By 5:15 she was out of control with whining.  I should note here, that Brian worked late tonight and was not home for dinner or bedtime.  I did manage to get a good dinner in both of them, but after dinner, Paige started in the with hitting.  I excused her to her room and then talked to her about hitting.  She came back down and again hit, this time with her Snugglie to Woolly.  It was 6:30 and after excusing her to her room several times with complete disobedience, I yelled, yes, yelled, for her to go to her room.  I HATE it when I loose my temper.  I feel so bad.  Any advice on how to get both of them to stop hitting?  I usually try to talk to them simply and say, "No hitting, hitting hurts."  But I'm not getting through and I don't want to loose my temper anymore.  Thanks for the advice. 

1 comment:

  1. My child #3 gets like this when he's over-tired (or just in a sassy mood). What I've found with him (after the obvious telling him it's not ok, quiet time alone etc.) is to just keep him in his room and not interact with anyone until he thinks he's ready to keep his hands to himself. Sometimes when he's really having a tough time I even have to shut the door. Sometimes he'll scream and then just fall asleep. Other times he'll cry and then come out of his room when he thinks he can keep his hands to himself. I also ask him sometimes if he just needs me to hold him (after I address the no hitting issue) because sometimes I think they hit for a physical connection/attention.

    ReplyDelete