Paige had her 4 year well check today. This check includes booster immunizations for all the big ones, DTaP, IPV, MMR and Varicella (chicken pox). Plus we did the mist for the flu vaccine this year. Paige is definitely the type of child who likes to be prepared and told before hand about plans and procedures. So I looked up as to if I should tell her about the shots before we go. The advice I found definitely suggested she be told. So yesterday I mentioned that she had the appointment to see Dr. Suhdato show her how healthy she was. She actually asked if she would get a shot. I told her she might and that they are important to get to stay healthy. She got it. Then last night we read a book about going to the doctor which spells out exactly what they do, weigh, measure, temp, BP, exam and of course immunizations. She absolutely understood. Today in the car on the way she said she would not cry for shots. I told her to do what felt best for her. That it was ok to cry but also ok to be brave. We waited about a half hour for the doctor to come in and she was fine the whole time. She loves Dr. Sudha and gave her big hugs and loved getting her exam. Paige is very interested in medical stuff. Then the nurse came in with the shots. Paige did great for the first two, in fact, even watched them be injected. But the third one, which was two immunizations in one shot, she started to cry. I can imagine that one did hurt. But she recovered quickly. She came home and told Brian all about it and even got a little teary when she told him about her shots. So far, she's fine...no side effects.
Here's her stats:
Weight = 37.7 lbs (70%)
Height = 40 1/2 inches (70%)
BP= = 103/66 (normal is 99/60-70 for children her age)
We are so proud of how much Paige has grown. She has especially matured in the last 2 months. I think school is helping lots with that and also the fact that we took away the pacifier. She keeps saying she's a big girl. I really couldn't relate when people told me time flies and to enjoy the baby time. But now I see how right they are. I cannot believe she is four years old and all the things she is doing and what she comprehends. We love her so much and treasure every moment with her.
 |
| At home ready to leave |
 |
| In the waiting room |
I'm so glad I read your blog before taking Aaron in for his appt today- I called ahead and Aaron can get his flu and Nate can get the nasal flu shot as well. UGH. Aaron will not like 3 shots but I might as well it get all done and over with! Thanks for posting! :)
ReplyDeleteComment from Nanny: She so good, we know she is healthy and the best grand daughter a Nanny could ask for. Give her a big hug from me.
ReplyDelete